One of our favorite things about game day is the grub. Because it’s not just about football, right? This is just as much a foodie holiday, and we are here for it. Remember though, just because we enjoy a good spread, doesn’t mean we need to throw our health priorities out of bounds. In fact, there are a lot of great-tasting foods out there that add health benefits to your eyes. We were able to find a fun, easy-to-make recipe that includes two key ingredients that do wonders for your peepers: carrots and sweet potatoes. We decided to give it a try and it did not disappoint!
SWEET POTATO AND CARROT “TOTS”
- Olive oil spray
- 1 large (1/2 pound) sweet potato, peeled
- 1 large (1/4 pound) carrot, peeled
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons whole wheat panko breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a sheet pan with olive oil.
- Cut sweet potato and carrot into three or four large chunks. Chop into rice-sized pieces in a food processor.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat, spray the pan with oil and add the chopped vegetables. Cook, stirring for 5 minutes, until softened. Transfer to a large bowl with the egg, panko, mozzarella, onion powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika, salt and pepper, and stir with a spatula to ensure it is evenly combined.
- Using your hands, form sweet potato-carrot mixture into small rectangular pieces, press and role firmly together to 1 tablespoon size each. Space them on a prepared sheet pan, spray with olive oil and bake for 10 minutes. Remove them from the oven, using your hands or a small spatula, flip each over, put them back in the oven and bake for 10-12 more minutes, or until brown and crisp. Makes 30 tots.
Throwing some eye-healthy vibes out to Gina at SkinnyTaste.com for the recipe! We hope everyone enjoys the game and time spent with family.